Genital warts are nothing more than bodily processes or warts, which are usually formed in the area of the external genital organs and the anus. Condilomatosis is an inflammatory disease that often develops in women.
The culprit is the notorious human papillomavirus. With the appearance of condylomas, their intensive growth and distribution can not be slow, you should contact a specialist, because this disease may in the future become the initiator of cervical cancer.
Why do genital warts appear and what is it? Pathogen - DNA-containing papillomavirus, or condyloma - HPV, belongs to the genus of papillomavirus. 'According to different data, from 15 to 30% of women are its asymptomatic carriers, and in one organism there can be not one, but several viral strains at once. The virus can be in the body for a long time, without showing itself clinically, and only as a result of exposure to predisposing factors - is activated.
In total, there are 2 types of condylomas that can appear in a woman:
- Flat. Most often they are located on the cervix of the uterus, almost invisible to the eye and are detected only by special techniques. Therein lies their danger. If you do not eliminate such warts in time, they can cause cervical cancer.
- Pointed. They are found in women on the mucous membrane of the large and small labia, around the clitoris, the entrance to the urethra and around the anus. Female genital warts can be localized on the walls of the vagina or urethra, as well as on the skin of the thighs, buttocks and groin areas. The condyloma of the rectum has the same shape.
Papilovirus infection in the case of genital warts is transmitted sexually (heterosexual and homosexual contact, oral and anal intercourse). You can get warts and when using common towels, linen and other things, that is, by household means. Although this route of transmission, some researchers consider it doubtful.
Predisposing factors to the formation of growths on the skin and mucous membranes are such states:
- neglect of personal hygiene;
- trauma to the skin and mucous membranes;
- nervous tension, accompanied by stress;
- bad habits;
- regular sleep deprivation / malnutrition;
- hormonal changes;
- freezing or overheating of the body;
- pregnancy as a condition in which immunity is inhibited.
People with strong immunity may be carriers of this virus all their life, but they never get sick. However, if the growths on the skin and mucous membranes nevertheless appeared, the woman should understand that they will not disappear by themselves, which means that they should rather seek medical help. Treatment of genital warts should primarily be directed not at removing the growths themselves, but at the cause of their appearance, that is, at the human papillomavirus.
If a woman has genital warts, the very first symptoms are the occurrence of small, up to several millimeters, formations in typical places of the anogenital area (see photo).
Such neoplasms are accompanied by the following symptoms:
- burning, itching;
- feeling of a foreign object in the affected area;
- there is a constant feeling of moisture in the area of the warts;
- the appearance of persistent fetid odor;
- sometimes there may be painful symptoms and bleeding in violation of the integrity of the warts.
Condylomas are located most often in the region of the genital lips, urethra, vagina, cervix, anus and perineum. Very rarely, they appear in the throat and mouth, on the wall of the urethra.
The incubation period, that is, the period from the moment of infection to the onset of the first manifestations is different, from several months to several years and depends on the state of the immune system of the body. As soon as the woman's defenses are weakened, the HPV is activated, “punches” the surface layer of the epithelium - the epidermis and comes out in the form of warts.
Genital warts reach their full size in just a few hours - from 2 to 6 mm. With the excessive development of neoplasm tissues, sometimes there is a lack of nutrition and then the condyloma disappears by itself. As a rule, several condylomas appear at once, in some cases their number totals several dozen. Less common condylomas appear within a few days.
In addition to physical discomfort, genital warts deliver many psychological problems to a woman, forming an inferiority complex in her. Especially when a partner is rejected and disgusted. Growing, tumors interfere with sexual intercourse, they can be injured and bleed. All this makes a woman give up sex and creates an unfavorable situation in the family.
Condyloma in women: photo
To understand how flat or genital warts look like in women, we offer to view detailed photos.
As you can see, the tumors have different sizes and shapes. Genital warts externally resemble papillae on a thinner leg, merging with each other, they become similar to the crest of a rooster or cauliflower. Flat warts have the shape of a bed, they are more difficult to detect without the use of special diagnostics, if they are located on the cervix.
Diagnosis of the disease in a woman is quite simple. After a thorough history and complaints, the doctor examines the anogenital area, the vaginal mucosa and cervix. If the diagnosis leaves no doubt, then a colposcopy is performed to identify flat warts, dysplasia, and even cervical cancer.
To clarify the diagnosis is being tested for the presence of human papillomavirus. This method is called PCR. Its results give the doctor the opportunity to understand the pathways for the disease to enter the body of the patient and obtain quantitative characteristics, determine the type of microorganism that caused the illness. There are 8 main types of papillomavirus that can cause warts.
In pregnant women infected with the papillomavirus, the neoplasms often become large, grow, become friable. This is due to a change in hormonal levels, increased blood circulation in the tissues, and a change in the environment of the vagina.
Pappilomavirus infection is dangerous for the fetus, as it can cause infection of the child during childbirth. Therefore, before planning a pregnancy, doctors recommend an analysis for HPV.
Treatment of warts in women
Despite the painlessness of the warts, in general, they are very unpleasant in appearance and interfere with a full intimate life. Therefore, with the appearance of growths in the crotch area, it is better to undergo treatment, since it is necessary to get rid of them through hardware exposure.
The list of the most effective and widely used methods of treating condylomas includes:
- Thermocoagulation. It involves the burning of condylomas, which are dying and collapsing due to high temperature. During the procedure, the patient feels pain, so it is always carried out under local anesthesia. At first, a scab forms from the growth, and then healthy tissue grows under it. For this operation, a coagulator and special equipment are needed. This method is quite effective.
- Cryodestruction The essence of this method consists in destruction of tissues damaged by warts with liquid nitrogen.
- Laser destruction. The method consists in destroying a neoplasm by exposing it to a surgical laser.
- Radiosurgical method. Condylomas are destroyed by a narrow radio wave of the high frequency range. This method is very effective and safe. After this procedure, the cleaned skin remains on the affected area without any scars, and the complete healing of the tissues practically takes place within 24 hours.
- Chemotherapy Often, during chemical burning of the tissues of warts, means are used, the active substance of which is nitric acid.
Modern medicine has not developed at the moment a method that will completely destroy HPV. Treatment is based on relieving the patient's condition (by removing genital warts) and increasing the time interval between relapses. The virus persists around the site of tumors on seemingly healthy skin, so relapses are usually associated with virus activation and reproduction.
The use of drugs for the treatment of warts is possible with their small size. The treatment is carried out by the patient independently at home, but the examination and consultation of the gynecologist before it begins is mandatory.
- Imiquimod (Aldara cream 4000 rub, Keravort 2000 rub.) Is a prescription drug for external use in the treatment of external genital warts in the perianal and genital area (persons over 12 years old). The course of treatment is long, side effects at the site of application: erosion, swelling, itching, burning, redness, scabbing, and discharge of fluid. Imiquimod should be used every other day (3 r / week), removing with soap and water 10 hours after application.
- Podophyllotoxin, Condilen Nicomed - they are applied twice a day with a special applicator attached to the preparation. It is important to maintain a 12-hour interval between application. After a 3-day treatment, they take a break of four days and continue treatment until complete elimination of the warts. Due to the toxicity of the drug, the treated area should be minimal (max. 10 cm2).
Conservative treatment of condilomatosis involves the use of pharmaceutical agents that cause necrotic changes in the tissues. The choice of treatment in each case is determined only by a specialist.