Few people know, but it is the nose that takes care of the entire body. First of all, oxygen enters through the nose, without which it is simply impossible to survive.
The nose in every possible way protects the inhaled air and prevents overcooling of other organs. The nose protects the lungs from dust and other harmful impurities, including from pathogens. In the end, the nose affects the sound of our voice.
Nasal congestion without rhinitis is a condition that every person occasionally observes. Sometimes nasal congestion disappears on its own as suddenly as it appeared, and sometimes it becomes a problem that violates a person’s usual way of life.
Such a violation of nasal breathing is not a disease, it is only a symptom that may indicate the existence of certain problems in the body.
Causes of nasal congestion without rhinitis
Some believe that if the nose is stuffed up, but the snot does not flow, it means that this state will pass by itself, and they do not pay attention to it. But this attitude to the problem is not quite correct, since there are many reasons for causing congestion without snot in adults:
- Vasomotor rhinitis - a condition in which a person feels stuffy nose - the nose does not allow air and does not breathe well, but there is no cold. Breathing is difficult, and nothing to blow your nose. Often, one or the other half of the nose opens periodically. We are forced to breathe through our mouths, which prevents us from living normally.
- Allergic reactions to irritants that are in the air. In this case, the nose lays with a single or continuous exposure to the allergen on the body. Usually this is not observed mucus, the cause - in the swelling of the tissues of the nasopharynx. An allergic reaction may be accompanied by cough and slight swelling. At first, the symptoms are very similar to the onset of a cold, but neither weakness nor fever is observed.
- Foreign bodies. If a foreign body enters the nose, then only one half of them suffers. But children often block both halves of the nose with foreign bodies.
- Constant nasal congestion can be with the abuse of vasodilators and addiction of the body to them.
- The cause of constant nasal congestion without discharge can be polyps, as well as adenoids, but only in the stage of remission of the disease and attenuation of the main symptoms, which include a runny nose, sneezing, etc.
- The curvature of the nasal septum. Breathing can be difficult on both sides, for example, in the case of an S-shaped curvature. The curvature of the septum in the nose is often complicated by chronic vasomotor rhinitis.
- The most commonplace reason for nasal congestion without snot occurs is overdried indoor air.
- Adverse environmental conditions - increased air pollution, when the nose can not cope with their functions.
As can be seen from the listed reasons, such a malaise may be a symptom of the disease or be a consequence of adverse conditions, so the treatment must be unequivocal. It is no secret that prolonged nasal congestion without a cold can lead to the development of inflammation of the mucous membranes and even the nasal sinuses (sinusitis, antritis).
Effect of Allergens
Allergens that can cause swelling of the nasal mucosa and lead to its congestion without snot:
- pollen of flowering plants;
- insects (insect bites);
- mites that live in furniture, house dust, etc.;
- some medications;
- some foods;
- house or library dust;
- animal fur.
If you are worried about nasal congestion with allergies, then you should contact your allergist or ENT specialist, who will then prescribe you an adequate treatment, focusing on the results of the tests. As a rule, in this case, antihistamines are prescribed. The duration of such drug therapy lasts at least 2 weeks.
To understand how to treat nasal congestion without snot in adults, it is necessary not only to diagnose a symptom, but also to determine the cause of its development. This will help us in-depth examination, which allows to identify the cause of difficulty in nasal breathing more accurately. It may include:
- endoscopic rhinoscopy of the nasal passages;
- computed tomogram, MRI;
- X-ray of the paranasal sinuses;
- biopsy of the diseased tissue;
- seeding the contents of the nasopharynx on nutrient medium in order to identify the pathogen;
- conducting a survey regarding the underlying disease that may cause worsening of nose breathing (allergy testing, immunogram).
The difficulty of determining the cause of nasal congestion without a cold is that, in fact, the patient's feelings are almost the same in all cases, and the factor that causes inflammation of the nasopharyngeal mucosa can be detected only with the help of special equipment or after testing.
The most common and dangerous consequences of shortness of breath are considered to be such states:
- pressure on the head, pain;
- complete loss of smell, which is not always possible to recover;
- sinusitis and other inflammatory diseases of the paranasal sinuses;
In any case, in order to eliminate the problem associated with the fact that the nose is stuffed up and there is no cold, it is necessary to take measures to eliminate the root cause of this condition.
How to treat nasal congestion without snot
When there is no cold, methods for treating nasal congestion may be symptomatic, conservative, surgical, and complex. The main condition of therapy is the impact not only on the signs of the violation, but also on the cause of their occurrence. To get a positive effect, you must follow the prescription of the doctor, instructions for use.
Depending on the cause of congestion, various drugs are used for treatment:
- Sprays and drops: "Tizin", "Rinorus", "For Nos".
- Tablets against allergies: "Loratadine", "Zodak."
- Ointment: "Doctor Mom", "Evamenol", "Fleming Ointment".
- Tablets for removal of edema: "Klarinase-12."
Surgery for nasal congestion is required most often when the following pathologies are detected:
- crooked nasal septum;
- neoplasms, polyps;
- foreign objects stuck in the nose;
- chronic rhinitis, leading to the proliferation of tissue mucosa.
Surgical treatment can be carried out using laser therapy, radio wave method, traditional surgery.
What to do? With the appearance of nasal congestion without snot, treatment with folk remedies can be a worthy replacement or a good supplement to drug therapy.
- Nose massage. Rub the wings and bridge of the nose with circular movements until the skin becomes warm, then lightly tapping for 10 minutes. Nasal congestion usually recedes quickly.
- Effective inhalation. For them, you can make any decoction. Coltsfoot, oregano, calendula, St. John's wort or plantain, or you can pour a mixture of several herbs with boiling water and breathe over the steam, covered with a towel.
- At home, you can wash the nose with saline, drops of "saline" or pharmaceutical preparations containing seawater (Marimer, Aquamaris).
- You can get rid of a cold with onions, garlic or horseradish - all these plants, together or separately, need to be finely chopped and breathed in by evaporation, despite the unpleasant smell, pain in the eyes and other effects of such treatment, this method is considered one of the most popular traditional medicine.
Also do not forget about the rate of humidity in the room. To cope with the dry air in the room to sleep will help special air humidifiers. They can be replaced by a more budget option - wet towels. They must be hung before bedtime on batteries and heaters.
Remember that any disease in itself does not go away, it must be treated. If you do not begin treatment immediately when it occurs, you are threatened with complications, the disease can turn into a more severe stage. If nothing helps you to get rid of nasal congestion, consult a doctor, do not expect complications.
The most common causes of the feeling of nasal obstruction, though, are catarrhal and viral diseases with a hidden course. In this case, it is quite simple to resist the vexing ailment. To completely avoid colds, of course, will not work, but the number of floats can be fairly reduced.
Follow the simple guidelines:
- avoid hypothermia;
- in cold weather dress warmly;
- take a complex of vitamins;
- lead a healthy lifestyle;
- avoid bad habits;
- succumb only to positive emotions;
- try not to stay at mass events during epidemics of influenza and viral diseases.
Such simple but important measures will help in maintaining the tone of the immune system and protecting the body from viruses and bacteria.