Griseofulvin - a drug aimed at combating fungal formations.
It is most effective when applied to dermatomycetes, such as mokorporums, trihofitonovye associations, oedpermofitony. Its feature is the complete inefficiency in the fight against candidiasis. Griseofulvin is recognized as the main drug used in the diagnosis of ringworm.
On this page you will find all the information about Griseofulvin: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Griseofulvin. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much is Griseofulvin? The average price in pharmacies is about 300 rubles.
Release form and composition
Tablets Griseofulvin have white or light cream color, round shape, bitter taste. The main active ingredient is griseofulvin, its concentration in one tablet is 125 mg. It also includes auxiliary components, which include:
- Polyethylene glycol.
- Magnesium stearate.
- Corn starch.
- Lactose monohydrate.
Griseofulvin tablets are packaged in a blister pack of 10 pieces. The carton pack contains 2 blister packs (20 tablets) and instructions for use of the drug.
Griseofulvin slows down the reproduction and growth of fungal microorganisms, and when used in high concentrations, its fungicidal action is manifested in relation to pathogenic dermatophyte fungi. The drug accumulates in the cells of hair, nails and skin, thereby preventing the spread of the fungus in new cells that are formed during the treatment process.
Cream and ointment Griseofulvin include salicylic acid in their composition, due to which they have the ability to penetrate into the deepest layers of the affected tissues. The drug in the form of cream and ointment in addition to the antifungal effect has keratolytic and antiseptic effects, as well as somewhat reduces the itching, providing an analgesic effect.
Indications for use
According to the instructions, Griseofulvin is used for mycoses of hair, skin and nails, including the following states:
- Microsporia smooth skin;
- Groin athlete's disease;
- Epidermofitiya feet;
- Microsporia of the scalp;
- Epidermofitiya smooth skin;
- Ringworm mustache and beard;
According to the instructions for use, Griseofulvin is not used for the following diagnostics:
- Lupus erythematosus;
- Low white blood cell count;
- Organic pathology of the kidneys and liver;
- Liver failure;
- Certain diseases of the circulatory system;
- Cancer neoplasms.
In addition to these pathologies, it is prohibited to take the drug during pregnancy and lactation, in case of hypersensitivity to the drug components, to infants.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Griseofulvin is contraindicated for use during pregnancy and lactation.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that the tablets should be taken with food with vegetable oil (1 tsp).
- With onychomycosis, trichophytia and favus of the scalp, the daily dose of the drug for adults weighing up to 50 kg is 625 mg (5 tab.), Then for every 10 kg of body weight, the dose of the drug is increased by 125 mg (1 tab.). The maximum daily dose is 1 g (8 tab.)
- With microsporia, the daily dose for adults is up to 1000 mg (8 tab.), Children are prescribed at the rate of 21-22 mg / kg body weight / day. The drug should be taken daily before the first negative mycological analysis, and then in the same dose, take 2 weeks every other day and 2 weeks 2 times a week.
- When onychomycosis in children and adolescents, the drug is prescribed at the rate of 16 mg / kg body weight.
- With trichophytosis and favus children, the drug is prescribed at the rate of 18 mg / kg body weight / day. The course of treatment is carried out as in microsporia.
- With onychomycosis, the drug is prescribed for the first month every day, the second month - every other day, then 2 times a week until the complete replacement of the nail with a healthy one. The total duration of treatment should be at least 8 months.
Improper use of the drug can lead to the development of undesirable effects in the form of dyspeptic phenomena. Some patients complain of headaches and dizziness.
Complications appear as:
In rare cases, the development of urticaria is diagnosed. With prolonged use of the drug, the level of leukocytes in the blood decreases, which leads to leukopenia. In rare cases, the development of leukocytosis is diagnosed.
If undesirable effects occur, the patient should stop treatment for several days. If a person is diagnosed with urticaria, then he is recommended to take anti-histamine drugs. To eliminate nausea, a 0.5% solution of novocaine is taken in the amount of one tablespoon.
Cases of overdose with pills Griseofulvin today unknown. May be the development of headache, nausea, vomiting, confusion. In such cases, it is necessary to conduct a lavage of the stomach, intestines and symptomatic therapy.
- The active substance has a negative effect on reproductive function, regardless of gender, therefore during its reception it is necessary to take contraceptives that do not contain hormones.
- In the process of using Griseofulvina, it is recommended to perform a blood test for its morphological composition every 1.5-2 weeks.
- Griseofulvin activity is significantly reduced if its reception is combined with barbiturates.
With the development of allergic reactions, it is necessary to prescribe antiallergic therapy, in case of increased allergic processes, it is necessary to discontinue the drug for 3-4 days. After removal of the manifestations of allergy, taking the drug should be resumed from 1/2 tablet per day, and gradually increasing (within 3-4 days), bring to a therapeutic dose.
At the same time the appointment of the drug with indirect anticoagulants leads to a decrease in the activity of the latter. This is also true with regard to the reception of oral forms of contraceptives during therapy with Griseofulvin.
Barbiturates weaken the antimycotic effect of the drug.
We picked up some feedback from people about Griseofulvin:
- Dasha. Cured of ringworm. The only side effect in the first week was a headache, but then everything went away.
- Sofia. I have observed mycosis of the skin. I was prescribed Griseofulvin for treatment. She took 2 weeks and still processed the leg with ointment. Now I am completely healthy.
Reviews of doctors and patients who took Griseofulvin, in most cases indicate a high efficacy of the drug. In their opinion, after several days of treatment, improvements are noticeable.
Analogues of Griseofulvina on the mechanism of action: Atifin, Binafin, Bramzil, Lamisil, Terbizil, Terbinafin, Terbinox, Terbifin, Termikon, Tigal Sanovel, Fungerbin, Tzidokan, Exiter, Exifin, Tebikur.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Griseofulvin should be stored in a dark and dry place out of reach of children, at a temperature not exceeding 20 ° C.
Shelf life of tablets is 3 years 6 months.