Differin is a drug used to get rid of acne. It belongs to the group of retinoids in chemical structure, has the pharmacological characteristics of the dermatoprotector.
The drug regulates the formation of epithelial cells, contributes to their keratinization and transformation into scales. It can be used both independently and in combination with other means, depending on the nature of the course of the disease.
On this page you will find all the information about Differin: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Differin. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
The drug for the treatment of acne.
Pharmacy sales terms
Can be bought without a prescription.
How much is Differin? The average price in pharmacies is 800 rubles.
Release form and composition
Today, pharmacies offer two basic dosage forms of this drug - ointment and cream.
- The ointment has a slightly thicker consistency, but it is also quickly and easily absorbed into the skin. Applying ointment is not difficult, but for better absorption it is applied to the affected skin with the thinnest layer. The ointment is also packaged in tubes of polymeric material with a volume of 30 g, which are placed in cardboard packaging. A detailed instruction is attached to the ointment, as well as to the cream, which makes it possible to study the properties of the preparation, its effect on the affected skin, to prevent possible negative consequences and to optimize the scheme of application.
- The cream has a uniform lightweight consistency of light yellow or cream color, it is packaged in aluminum tubes with a volume of 10-37 g, which are in cardboard packs with the name of the drug indicated on them, its manufacturer and the shelf life of the product.
The active ingredient of the drug is the substance adapalene, which is contained in both dosage forms of the agent in equal quantities. Auxiliary elements of the drug include:
- propylene glycol;
- disodium edetate;
- sodium hydroxide;
- purified water.
Also, depending on the type of drug (gel or cream), it may contain the following components: natural squalene, glycerol, cyclomethicone.
Adapalen is the active ingredient of the drug Differin, which is a synthetic analogue of retinoic acid and belongs to dermatotropic drugs. On the chemical structure of adapalene - a derivative of naphthoic acid. The substance selectively binds to receptors of retinoic acid on the nuclei of epithelial cells and stimulates the differentiation of keratinocytes. Moreover, binding to the cytosolic proteins sensitive to retinoic acid is not observed. This causes a lack of pronounced irritant action.
Adapalen accelerates the final stage of keratinocyte transformation into a cornified scale, and also weakens the intercellular connections in the epidermis. Acceleration of the last stages of keratinization of epithelial cells and weakening of connections between keratinocytes leads to their quick exfoliation, thinning of the epidermis, reducing the formation of comedones. The drug improves the release of the mouths of the hair follicles from the accumulation of dead cells.
The anti-inflammatory effect of adapalene is due to the inhibition of the activity of lipoxygenase, cytokines and arachidonic acid. The effect on the factors of inflammation, it is comparable to betamethasone. The drug does not stimulate the hyperplastic processes in the epidermis. Due to the listed pharmacological actions, Differin exhibits the following properties: keratolytic, sebiostatic, anti-inflammatory, comedolytic. Adapalen has a photosensitizing effect.
Indications for use
The drug is designed to get rid of acne and acne vulgaris.
If the rash is mild or moderate, then monotherapy can be used, that is, only “Differin” can be used. For the treatment of severe acne, you will need other drugs.
Contraindications for medication a little. Differin is not prescribed in the following conditions:
- Children's age up to 12 years;
- With a tendency to allergic reactions and hypersensitivity to the drug;
- Neoplasms on the skin at the sites of the intended treatment;
- Mechanical damage to the skin (abrasions, scratches, wounds);
- Do not use during pregnancy, especially in the first trimester. Do not use it during breastfeeding.
With extreme caution and under the supervision of a doctor, Differin is prescribed for skin diseases such as dermatitis and eczema, since the course of these diseases is accompanied by damage to the skin. Through wounds, the active substance in large quantities can penetrate into the bloodstream and, as a result of overdose, cause dangerous side reactions.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
The use of the drug during pregnancy and breastfeeding is not recommended.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that the cream or gel Differin applied externally.
- The drug is applied pointwise on inflammatory elements or, if necessary, on the entire face. Rubbing into the skin is prohibited! Before applying the gel / cream you need to clean your face (without using soap and alcohol lotions).
- Use the drug should be 1 time per day, preferably at night. The therapeutic effect is manifested within 4-8 weeks of treatment, a lasting improvement is noted after 3 months of therapy.
According to the recommendation of the doctor can be repeated
In the process of treatment with a drug may develop adverse reactions in the form of redness, peeling and skin irritation at the treatment sites. These phenomena are accompanied by excessive dryness of the skin, a feeling of itching and burning.
If an allergic reaction occurs, symptoms of contact dermatitis, tearing, redness and irritation of the conjunctiva of the eye (allergic conjunctivitis) are possible. If any disturbing symptoms occur, you should stop using the drug and consult a dermatologist for advice and new prescriptions.
A serious overdose from "Differin" can not be, because adapalen is poorly absorbed. If this does happen, dry skin and muscle soreness are observed.
- It is important when applying Differin to avoid contact with ointment or gel on the lips and eyes.
- In cases of skin irritation, you must cancel the tool until its complete disappearance.
- In the treatment of acne drug can be used in combination with other means. In this case, Differin should be applied before bedtime, and other means - in the morning.
- It is recommended to avoid UV irradiation and prolonged exposure to the sun during use of the drug, as there may be mild irritation on the skin, and also to exclude the use of cosmetic preparations that have irritating and drying properties (ethanol-containing agents, perfumes, etc.)
The absorption of adapalene through the skin is low, so its interaction with systemic drugs is unlikely.
There is no interaction with other drugs that can be used externally and simultaneously with the drug Differin. When using the drug in the evening, in the morning you can use such drugs for the external treatment of acne, such as solutions of erythromycin (up to 4%) or clindamycin phosphate (1% based on the base) or benzoyl peroxide gels on a water basis (up to 10%), since these drugs do not cause mutual degradation or cumulative irritation. However, other retinoids or drugs with a similar mechanism of action should not be used at the same time as adapalen.
The simultaneous use of the drug Differin and means for peeling, abrasive cleansers, as well as means with drying, astringent or irritant effect (aromatic or alcohol-containing agents) is not recommended.
We picked up some reviews of people on the drug Differin:
- Marina. For three months, I used a differential. Everything is as it should be. Yes, at first there was terrible dryness and flaking (then I reduced the dose a little, so to speak). The second, third month - terrible rashes all over the face. Nothing improved, it just got worse. Black points did not become less at all. Alas, the drug did not fit me.
- Oksana. My husband and I are prone to acne on the face is not the first year. Began to use Differin cream. My effect was noticeable the second week of application. And her husband did not help the remedy. It turns out that his skin is more rough, the doctor prescribed him a drug in the form of a gel. After 3 months we forgot about acne. Differin continue from time to time as a prevention.
- Inna I suffer from acne since adolescence. Tried “Differin” applied to problem areas, the result is quite good. This is despite the fact that for a long time I could not get rid of acne. “Differin” had not a bad effect, although, of course, it is not yet possible to completely get rid of its problem. Some advise smearing the face completely, but it seems to me wrong. I also read that “Differin” does not give an effect quickly, that it is effective only if it is used for a long time, as far as I really don’t know. I would like to completely remove acne and forget like a bad dream.
It is worth noting that the drug is very active and at the beginning of therapy can cause severe irritation and peeling of the skin, about which patients write quite often in their reviews. Due to dehydration under the influence of Differin, the skin may take on a gray and tired look.
After the course of treatment, it takes some time to restore it, as well as a good moisturizer. The effect of the drug lasts a long time, so even despite its high cost, it is popular with patients.Before and after pictures
By synonyms (they contain exactly the same active ingredient) Differin include the following drugs:
- Adapalen gel (external);
- Klenzit gel (external);
- Adaklin cream (external);
- Adolen gel (external).
Analogues of the drug Differin are the following means, also intended exclusively for external use:
- Ointment Videstim;
- Ointment Radevit;
- Retanoic ointment;
- Gel skinoren;
- Isotrexin gel;
- Gel Effezel.
- Retasol solution.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Which is better, Differin or Skinoren?
Skinoren does not have such high efficacy in the treatment of acne as Differin. However, the drug deserves attention, since it can be used as the main drug for maintenance therapy after the main course of Differin.
For example, after using Differin for 3 months, you can switch to Skinoren, which is applied to the entire surface of the skin several times a week. Remember that Skinoren has the ability to whiten the skin of the face, giving it a marble pallor that should not be afraid.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Keep out of reach of children at temperature not exceeding + 25 ° С. Do not freeze.
Expiration date: cream - 2 years, gel - 3 years.