Duphaston is a synthetic hormonal drug of the last generation, which is an artificial analogue of the female hormone progesterone.
A unique feature of the drug is its chemical formula, which is almost identical to the structure of the natural hormone progesterone. It is necessary for the female body to ensure biological changes associated with the preparation for pregnancy and its normal course. The basis of the drug is progestogenic hormone - didrogesterone. It acts directly on the uterine lining, which excludes most of the side effects that accompany the use of other synthetic hormones.
On this page you will find all the information about Duphaston: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Duphaston. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
The active ingredient of the drug dydrogesterone is an analogue of natural progesterone. Duphaston is a hormonal drug.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much is Duphaston? The average price in pharmacies is 480 rubles.
Release form and composition
Coated tablets, 10 mg. On 20 tablets in PVC / Al the blister. On 1 PVC / Al to the blister together with the application instruction place in a cardboard pack.
- 1 coated tablet contains: active ingredient: Dydrogesterone, 10 mg;
- Excipients: lactose monohydrate, hypromellose, corn starch, colloidal silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate;
- Shell: Opadry white Y-1-7000 (hypromellose, polyethylene glycol 400, titanium dioxide (El 71)).
A round biconvex tablet of white color, with beveled edges, coated, with a risk on one side, with an engraving "S" above the "T" sign on one side of the tablet and "155" on the other side (on both sides of the risks).
According to its molecular structure, pharmacological and chemical properties, didrogesterone is close to natural progesterone. This element is not a derivative of testoterone, has no side effects, which are inherent in almost all synthetic progestogens, which are also called androgenic progestogens. Didrogesterone does not have glucocorticoid, anabolic, androgenic, estrogenic or thermogenic activity.
Duphaston according to the instructions is part of a complex HRT during menopause, the drug retains a beneficial effect on the lipid profile of the blood on the part of estrogen. Unlike estrogen hormones, which negatively affect the blood coagulation system, didrogestron has no effect on the coagulation index. Does not have according to the instructions of the drug when planning conception of a negative impact on the liver, carbohydrate metabolism.
When taken orally, didrogesterone selectively affects the endometrium, which helps prevent an increased risk of hyperplasia or carcinogenesis due to an excess of estrogens. The medicament according to the instructions is indicated for endogenous progesterone deficiency. Duphaston has no contraceptive effect, because it is used in pregnancy planning. The tool makes it possible to conceive, ensures the preservation of pregnancy during therapy.
Indications for use
The use of Duphaston is indicated in cases where there is or is suspected a deficiency of endogenous progesterone, in cases where its positive effect has been clinically proven:
- infertility due to luteal insufficiency;
- threatened abortion;
- habitual abortion;
- premenstrual syndrome;
- irregular cycle.
In addition, in combination with estrogen Duphaston can be used with:
- secondary amenorrhea;
- dysfunctional uterine bleeding.
You can not take medication:
- Lactase deficiency, intolerance to galactose and glucose, malabsorption syndrome;
- Breastfeeding period;
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
If the patient has a history of skin itchiness in a previous pregnancy, Duphaston should be used with caution.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
According to the instructions, Duphaston during pregnancy is used according to indications.
Since didrogesterone can be excreted in breast milk, it is recommended to stop breastfeeding if necessary with drug treatment.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicated that the tablets "Duphaston" taken orally. The dosage of the drug must comply with the diagnosis. The treatment is carried out only on prescription and under medical supervision.
- Infertility, which is caused by luteal insufficiency - 1 tablet is prescribed per day from the 14th to the 25th day of the cycle. The drug is taken at least six months or 6 cycles. If conception has already happened, then Duphaston should be taken further, as with the threat of abortion.
- Endometriosis - dosage 10 mg (1 tablet) from 2 to 3 times per day. Begin either from the 5th to the 25th day of the monthly cycle, or regular reception.
- Usual abortion - take 1 tablet 2 times a day. Treatment should continue until the 20th week of pregnancy, then the dosage is gradually reduced.
- Threatening abortion - take 40 mg (4 tablets) one-time. Next, 1 tablet after 8 hours, until the situation returns to normal. If the symptoms begin to increase again, the dose should be increased again. Next "Duphaston" should be taken up to 12-20 weeks of pregnancy.
- Prolonged absence of menstruation (amenorrhea) - complex treatment - estrogen-containing drugs 1 tablet per day, starting from the 1st day of the cycle. From the 11th day of the cycle, the treatment is complemented by Duphaston. These drugs should be taken before the 25th day of the cycle. Application is designed for at least 3 menstrual cycles.
- Painful menstruation - 1 tablet 2 times a day. Application is shown from the 5th to the 25th day of the cycle.
- PMS - assigned 1 tablet 2 times a day. The treatment is carried out from the 11th to the 25th day of the cycle. The drug is prescribed for a period of 3 to 6 months.
- Irregular monthly cycle - the drug is prescribed in 1 tab. 2 times a day. Duphaston should be used from the 11th to the 25th day of the cycle.
- Hormone replacement therapy is prescribed in conjunction with estrogen 1 tablet 1 time per day for 2 weeks as part of a 28-day cycle. Usually reception takes place in the last 14 days of the cycle. If the reaction to progesterone therapy is not detected by ultrasound and is not confirmed by tests, the dose should be revised upwards.
- Dysfunctional uterine bleeding - the dose is 1 table. 2 times a day. The duration of treatment is from 5 to 7 days. As prevention of bleeding prescribe the use of the drug - 1 table. 2 times a day. Therapy is carried out from the 11th to the 25th day of the cycle.
When taking Duphaston may develop adverse reactions:
- The hematopoietic system may respond to the intake of the drug with symptoms of hemolytic anemia.
- From the side of the central nervous system are possible dizziness and headaches.
- On the part of the genital area, sometimes breakthrough uterine bleeding occurs, sometimes there is pain and swelling of the mammary glands.
- On the part of the skin, allergic manifestations in the form of urticaria, itching, skin rash are possible. In very rare cases, the development of such complications as angioedema.
- In some cases, there are problems with the liver, expressed in weakness and malaise, jaundice, some patients note that after Duphaston, the stomach hurts.
Uterine bleeding when taking the drug is easily stopped by increasing the dose of Duphaston. In the event of adverse reactions, you should consult with your doctor, you may need a dose adjustment, and in the case of allergic reactions - the abolition of the drug.
There are no reports of overdose symptoms. If accidentally taken in a dose significantly higher than therapeutic, gastric lavage is recommended. There is no specific antidote, treatment should be symptomatic.
Currently there are no data on the negative effects of didrogesterone in chronic renal failure.
A thorough clinical examination is required if a progesterone-dependent tumor is indicated in a history (for example, meningioma), as well as in the case of its progression during pregnancy or during previous hormonal therapy.
In the case of the appointment of didprogesterone in combination with estrogen (for example, for hormone replacement therapy), the contraindications and warnings associated with the use of estrogen should be considered.
Before starting hormone replacement therapy (HRT), a complete history should be collected. During treatment, it is recommended to periodically monitor the individual tolerance of HRT. The patient should be informed about any changes in the mammary glands should be reported to the doctor. Studies involving mammography should be carried out in accordance with generally accepted screening of patients.
Sometimes during the first months of treatment, breakthrough uterine bleeding may occur. If breakthrough bleeding occurs after a certain period of taking the drug or continue after a course of treatment, the cause should be examined, endometrial biopsy should be done to eliminate malignant changes in the endometrium.
You should not assign Duphaston tablets to patients with genetically determined galactose intolerance, lactase deficiency or malabsorption syndrome.
Perhaps a slight decrease in the effectiveness of Duphaston in parallel with Rifampicin or Phenobarbital, affecting the microsomal liver enzymes. These drugs can increase the rate of biological transformation of the hormonal drug Duphaston.
About drug incompatibility of Duphaston with other drugs information to date has not been reported.
With the simultaneous appointment of progestogen with estrogen, it is advisable to take into account the indications and contraindications for the latter.
We picked up some feedback from people about Duphaston:
- Anna. For the treatment of infertility prescribed course Duphaston. Against the background of the drug, a strong thrush appeared, but the gynecologist assured that it was not from him. There were no menstrual disorders before the pills, and in the first 2 months of administration the cycle began to jump from 22 to 28 days. I have been drinking medicine for 6 months, and the long-awaited pregnancy has not come.
- Marina. I first met Duphaston when I was carrying my second child. The first pregnancy was easy, without complications, but during the second there was a threat of miscarriage due to the low content of progesterone. It turns out that this hormonal agent helps to get pregnant and support pregnancy, preventing the risk of miscarriage. I had to take the drug for quite some time. Since the threat persisted, saw Duphaston before the 20th week of pregnancy. The price is not cheap, in order to complete the course of treatment, we had to spend a lot of money. Well, you can not do for the sake of the unborn child. In addition, I noticed some adverse reactions. At first, taking the drug did not cause any discomfort, but then after the pill began to notice increased drowsiness, by the end of the working day it was hard, constantly wanted to sleep. Maybe the drug is not to blame, it was just that the body reacted to the pregnancy in this way, but with the first child there was no such condition. In the end, everything ended well, I gave birth to a daughter, and Duphaston helped me in this.
- Katerina. Good day! I have long decided on the use of this drug. I read reviews and, I must say, for the most part they are not positive. The hormonal drug, moreover, is completely synthetic, and this carries a greater danger. I agree with everyone who wrote about indestructible acne, it's just a disaster. I drank Duphaston only two months, and the body was upset as after a powerful hormone therapy. There are red, hard, subcutaneous acne all over the face, and it hurts to touch them, not like having any kind of manipulation with them. The entire neck, especially in the area of the thyroid gland, was covered with “goose bumps”, which indicates an obvious hormonal failure and imbalance, the skin on the hands became dry. About the depressed state generally keep quiet. Girls, of course, the body is different for everyone and reacts differently. But like me most with such a side. I have never been a supporter of the use of hormones. Now I had to succumb to the entreaties of the gynecologist, because no pregnancy occurred for a year.
All health and cherished two strips!
- Eve. I have been sitting at doughstone for 3 years at the insistence of the endocrinologist. Very good drug, and I was great, on it I really lost weight. And my friend during pregnancy was prescribed duphaston, but she did not use it, and as a result, she had an ST. Now elbows bite. After all, this drug is very effective and will not be discharged just like that. And it tastes good, you don’t even understand that I took a pill. And what particularly pleases is the price.
According to the reviews of women, Duphaston increases the likelihood of conception (with the correct diagnosis and compliance with the treatment regimen), greatly alleviates the symptoms that appear during menopause, is effective for endometriosis, ovarian cyst and polycystic ovary. After treatment, most patients stabilize the menstrual cycle. There is also evidence of the effectiveness of the drug in uterine myoma.
Among the adverse reactions described by women who took Duphaston, the most common were nausea, abdominal pain, loose stools, general weakness and weight gain. However, despite unwanted side effects, positive reviews of the drug are more common.
The closest analogue of the drug is Utrozhestan. It is rich in natural progesterone, which is obtained from extracts of plants. This analogue of Duphaston during pregnancy can be taken. It comes in the form of tablets and candles. Doctors recommend taking them together to achieve the best effect in the fight against endometriosis and miscarriages.
In pharmacies, you can find the following analogues Duphaston:
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Duphaston or Utrozhestan - which is better?
Comparison of these drugs shows that both drugs have similar indications for use. But it is easy to determine what the difference is: in the composition of Utrozhestan, unlike Duphaston, there is a natural progesterone from the raw materials of plants. What is better - Duphaston or Utrozhestan - during pregnancy, can be determined only individually. But Utrozhestan also has a sedative effect on the body.
In some cases, both drugs are prescribed at the same time during pregnancy.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Tablets should be kept in places with a minimum level of humidity, in sealed original packaging. Storage temperature should not exceed + 30 ° C.
The permissible shelf life is 5 years from the date of issue (indicated on the package).