Kvamatel is an effective drug for treating pathologies of the upper part of the gastrointestinal tract.
The clinical effect is to reduce the concentration and amount of gastric juice, the regulation of pepsin synthesis. The drug selectively blocks histamine H2 receptors. Reduces the basal and stimulated production of gastric juice, the concentration of hydrochloric acid and pepsin. The apparent therapeutic effect begins after 1 hour and lasts for 10-12 hours.
On this page you will find all the information about Kvamatel: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Kvamatel. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Histamine H2 receptor blocker. Anti-ulcer drug.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much is Kvamatel? The average price in pharmacies is 150 rubles.
Release form and composition
Kvamatel is available in oral form. Each tablet is covered with a protective film coating.
- The composition of one coated tablet also includes 20 mg of the main substance famotidine and auxiliary components, for example, lactose monohydrate.
The drug is packaged in blisters of 14 pieces, 2 blisters in a cardboard box, which contains detailed instructions.
The drug belongs to the group of histamine H2 receptor blockers. Under the influence of the main component, the production of hydrochloric acid and the activity of pepsin are reduced.
The drug does not affect the process of moving food through the stomach and intestines, does not affect the exocrine ability of the pancreas. After taking the pill inside, the therapeutic effect develops after 1 hour, reaches its maximum after 3 hours and lasts up to 24 hours, which directly depends on the dose taken.
Indications for use
What helps? Kvamatel according to the instructions prescribed for the treatment and prevention of:
- Reflux esophagitis;
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome;
- Peptic ulcer and 12 duodenal ulcer;
- Erosive gastroduodenitis;
- Prevention of recurrent bleeding from the upper gastrointestinal tract (GIT);
- Functional dyspepsia associated with increased gastric secretion;
- Bleeding from the upper GI tract (as part of a comprehensive treatment);
- Prevention of gastric juice aspiration in patients undergoing surgery under general anesthesia (Mendelssohn's syndrome).
Contraindications to the use of Kvamatela are the following states:
- pregnancy and lactation;
- history of encephalopia;
- lactose deficiency;
- age under 16 and over 65;
- intolerance included in the composition of the drug substances;
- immunodeficiency states (HIV and AIDS);
- galactose-glucose malabsorption.
You should also take special care when prescribing the drug on the background of cirrhosis of the liver with portosystemic encephalopathy (in history), hepatic and renal failure.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
The use of Kvamatel at all stages of pregnancy is strictly prohibited.
Use of the drug during breastfeeding is possible only after complete refusal of it throughout the course of drug treatment.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that Kvamatel take orally.
- In reflux esophagitis, the start dose is 20 mg 2 times / day; if necessary, the drug can be applied 40 mg 2 times / day.
- In order to prevent exacerbations of gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer, Kvamatel is prescribed in a dose of 20 mg 1 time / day before going to bed.
- With Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, the initial dose is 20-40 mg every 6 hours; if necessary, the daily dose can be increased to 240-480 mg.
- For the prevention of aspiration of gastric juice during general anesthesia, Quamel is prescribed in a dose of 40 mg on the eve of the operation or in the morning on the day of surgery.
- In case of gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer in the acute phase, Kvamatel is prescribed in a dose of 40 mg 1 time / day before bedtime or 20 mg 2 times / day. If necessary, the daily dose can be increased to 80-160 mg. The duration of treatment is 4-8 weeks.
In renal failure, if KK3 mg / dl, the daily dose should be reduced to 20 mg or increase the interval between doses to 36-48 h.
The use of the drug Kvamatel can cause the following side effects:
- Increased fatigue, headache, emotional lability.
- Hallucinations, anxiety, dizziness.
- Urticaria, angioedema, pruritus, bronchospasm, anaphylactic shock.
- Violations of the stool, nausea, vomiting, jaundice with cholestasis, increased liver enzymes, loss of appetite, dryness of the oral mucosa, flatulence.
Also, the use of the drug very rarely can cause heart rhythm disturbances, atrioventricular block, fever, pancytopenia, agranulocytosis, thrombocytopenia.
Various violations of normal activities:
- digestive system organs (vomiting);
- on the part of the central nervous system (trembling of the extremities, motor agitation);
- cardiovascular system (lowering blood pressure, increasing heart rate, a sharp drop in blood pressure (collapse)).
To eliminate the above conditions, it is necessary to carry out a gastric lavage and medical elimination of overdose symptoms. If severe conditions occur, hemodialysis (mechanical blood purification) is recommended.
- Patients with functional disorders of the liver are prescribed the drug with caution and in low doses.
- During the period of use of the drug, the patient should not use drugs, food and beverages that can irritate the gastric mucosa.
- When prescribing Kvamatela, the doctor must make sure that the patient does not have malignant tumors, since the use of the drug can mask their symptoms.
- On the background of long-term therapy under stress or in weakened patients, bacterial infections of the stomach may develop.
- It is impossible to abruptly interrupt the treatment with famotidine - this may cause a withdrawal syndrome in the patient, therefore, with the abolition of the drug, the dose should be reduced gradually.
- If necessary, simultaneous use, taking the drug is made only 2 hours after ketoconazole or itraconazole, it is also recommended to take a 1-2 hour break while taking antacids, to eliminate the interaction of these drugs.
- Skin tests in the diagnosis of allergic skin reactions of the immediate type should be carried out after discontinuation of the drug, since histamine H2-receptor blockers can suppress the skin reaction to histamine and distort the results of studies.
- Since Kvamatel can inhibit the acid-stimulating activity of histamine and pentagastrin, it is recommended to stop taking the drug 24 hours before the test.
During the treatment period, patients should take care when practicing potentially hazardous activities, the implementation of which requires quick psychomotor reactions and high concentration of attention, including when driving vehicles and mechanisms.
- Famotidine increases the absorption of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid.
- Due to the increase in the pH of the stomach contents, famotidine, while applying it, reduces the absorption of ketoconazole and itraconazole.
- At the same time taking famotidine and drugs that suppress bone marrow hematopoiesis, the risk of developing neutropenia increases.
- Antacids and sucralfat, used simultaneously with the drug Kvamatel, slow down the absorption of famotidine. It is necessary to observe a 1-2 hour break between doses of these drugs.
We picked up some reviews from people about Kvamatel:
- Michael. Effective and fairly inexpensive drug for stomach ulcers. My father was discharged and after two weeks the ulcer was released a little. And the disease was in a very neglected form, he could not eat anything. They put him in a hospital, there they prescribed quamatel and other drugs for treatment. Then periodically, as a prophylaxis, he spent 10 days on the prophylaxis.
- Galina. I have been ill with a duodenal ulcer for a very long time, I regularly undergo treatment in the off-season. Often during exacerbations she took ranitidine, but the doctor recommended taking a quamatel. Within a few days, the healing effect was noticeable, sharp pains disappeared, the aggressiveness of the gastric juice decreased significantly, and, accordingly, heartburn and sour belching stopped. The drug is good and does not cause side effects, but medical consultation and examination is necessary.
- Tatyana. I was prescribed Kvamatel tablets for the treatment of reflux esophagitis. But they did not suit me. Already on the second day of administration, severe dizziness began, pressure dropped, and severe weakness appeared. I looked at the instructions and was surprised by the abundance of side effects. I do not know if it can be cured with the help of this tool, but it’s quite realistic to make specific problems and complications. From these pills refused, in the end, picked up a less toxic drug.
Analogues of the drug containing the same active ingredient are drugs Gasterogen, Gastrosidin, Pesidin, Famosan, Famotel, Famotidine. Among other medicines with a similar therapeutic effect are the following drugs:
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Tablets should be stored at a temperature not exceeding 30 ° C, lyophilisate - 15-25 ° C, in a dark place, out of reach of children.
Expiration date: tablets and solvent - 5 years; Lyophilisate - 3 years.