Naphthyzinum belongs to the group of protivokongestantov and in its pharmacological action is alpha-adrenergic.
The drug relieves the edema of the vessels of the mucous membranes of the nasal passages, reduces blood flow (and, therefore, hyperemia) to the venous sinuses and prevents exudation, which leads to a significant relief of nasal breathing in the common cold. The effect of naphthyzine appears when the local application is directly on the mucous membranes of the nose and develops within a few minutes after using the drug.
The duration of action of naphthyzine is several hours depending on the severity of symptoms and the nature of the course of the disease.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Alpha adrenomimetic. When applied to the mucous membranes has a fast, pronounced and prolonged vasoconstrictor effect.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much does Naphthyzinum in pharmacies? The average price is at 25 rubles.
Release form and composition
Naphthyzinum is available in the following forms:
- Spray nasal (10 ml in plastic or glass vials, in a cardboard bundle one bottle).
- Nasal drops (5, 10 or 15 ml in polyethylene or glass vials, in a cardboard bundle one bottle);
Active ingredient: naphazoline nitrate - 0.5 mg or 1 mg in 1 ml of solution.
Auxiliary components: boric acid, purified water.
Naphazoline contributes to a pronounced narrowing of peripheral blood vessels, providing a sedative effect on the mucous membrane of the nose in rhinitis.
The action of the drug is quick and short. The patient begins to feel better after a few minutes after using the drops. The action lasts for 4-5 hours. Prolonged use of Naphthyzinum may provoke the emergence of medical rhinitis and psychological dependence.
Indications for use
Due to its properties, the drug is recommended for the following diseases:
- allergic rhinitis;
- chronic rhinitis;
- acute respiratory infections;
- manifestations of sinusitis;
- acute nasopharyngitis;
- laryngitis and tracheitis;
- inflammation of the mucosa in the postoperative period;
- in cases of heavy bleeding from the nose.
Well naphthyzinum helps with laryngeal edema when it is triggered by radiation or an allergic reaction. Sometimes the drug is prescribed for bacterial conjunctivitis of the eye.
Is it possible to drip naphthyzine into the eyes?
The fact that naphthyzine can drip into the eyes, they know for the most part people who abuse alcohol.
In this case, it is used to constrict the eye vessels. Everyone knows that excessive alcohol consumption causes redness of the whites of the eyes. Naphthyzinum has vasoconstrictor properties. The vessels of the eyes are narrowed and the proteins take on a normal appearance. Drops act very quickly and efficiently.
However, there is one nuance - they are not intended for the eyes! Therefore, such use causes unpleasant symptoms: pain, pain in the eyes, as well as a feeling of dryness. For the most part, people who have used naphthyzine at least once in this way rarely use it again. Especially since for such purposes special preparations have been created, for example, Vizin.
There are some contraindications for use:
- diabetes mellitus;
- simultaneous use of MAO inhibitors and 14 days after their use has been completed;
- severe eye disease;
- hypersensitivity to the components of the tool;
- arterial hypertension;
- atherosclerosis pronounced;
- age up to 1 year.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
During pregnancy and during breastfeeding, the drug is contraindicated, since there are no data on the safety of the drops during this period.
The use of drops during pregnancy and during breastfeeding can lead to systemic side effects.
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicated that in otolaryngology Naphthyzinum is used intranasally.
Dosing regimen is determined by age (in each nasal passage):
- Adults and children from 15 years: 3-4 drops per day or 1-3 drops or 1 spray injection (0.05-0.1% solution);
- Children 6-15 years old: 1-3 drops a day, 2 drops or 1 spray injection (0.05% solution);
- Children 1-6 years (for drops) and 2-6 years (for spray): 1-3 times a day, 1-2 drops or 1 spray injection (0.05% solution).
Children 0.05% Naphthyzinum spray can be diluted with distilled water in a 1: 1 ratio (up to 0.025%). The dosage regimen should not be changed.
- The course of treatment for rhinitis should not exceed 5-7 days in adults, and 3 days in children.
For diagnostic purposes, the drug is used after cleaning the nose. 3-4 drops should be dropped into each nasal passage or one injection should be made or a tampon dipped in a 0.05% solution of the preparation should be injected for 1-2 minutes.
Side effects of the drug include:
- nausea and headache;
- inflammation of the mucous membranes and increased swelling;
With prolonged use and increased doses:
- chronically rhinitis;
- mucosal atrophy;
- loss of smell.
Side effects include fast addiction. A patient who has systematically taken the drug feels a constant need for its use. This is due to the fact that at the end of the action of the medication the vessels begin to expand again, provoking a noticeable nasal congestion.
With the abuse of the drug and use in large doses, the patient develops signs of overdose, which are expressed in strengthening the above-described side effects, as well as weakness, dizziness, tachycardia, and an increase in blood pressure.
With the development of such reactions, drug therapy should be stopped and consult a doctor for symptomatic treatment.
Before you start using the drug, read the specific instructions:
- Naphazoline may have a resorptive effect.
- With prolonged use, the severity of the vasoconstrictive action gradually decreases (the phenomenon of tachyphylaxis), and therefore it is recommended to take a break for several days after 5-7 days of use.
When using the drug, you must consider the interaction with other drugs:
- It should not be used simultaneously with MAO inhibitors or within 14 days after the end of their use.
- Naphazoline slows down the absorption of local anesthetics (lengthens their action during surface anesthesia).
We picked up some reviews of people using the drug Naphthyzinum:
- Sasha. It seems to me, naphthyzinum for the nose, everyone knows. The most commonplace remedy for rhinitis. Ever since their childhood their nose has dripped. Now the truth has moved to other means that are more expensive. All the same, after naphthizine, the sense of smell was often lost for a time. The taste and smell just disappeared for a while. It seems to me that Naftizin acts more aggressively, while more modern drugs act softer. Although in terms of effectiveness, I have no complaints about Naphthyzinum.
- Maria. I was pregnant for 27 weeks, then I caught a cold and my nose was constantly stuffed, I went to the pharmacy and they advised me to take naphazolin spray, I used it, I thought it would pass before the birth. But even after childbirth, it continues like this, I can not breathe, and I cannot without naphazoline. Now I’m afraid, I don’t know what it is, I just can’t get to the doctor because I am sitting with a child. Roughly tell me please, is it something chronic? And that the doctor will prescribe some shots, tests, etc. thank you in advance!
- Olga Be careful and do not drip the nose in small children. My one was somehow taken away in an ambulance, and some children even fall into a coma. We managed everything, but there were deaths !!! I'm shocked, such simple drops are sold in every pharmacy, cost a penny, and this can happen ((
Naphthyzinum, like any other medicine, has a number of analogues. Among the preparations containing the same active ingredient, drugs such as:
- Sanorin with eucalyptus oil.
Among other analogues that have a similar therapeutic effect, can be called drugs:
- Aqualore baby,
- Aqua Maris,
- Rinostop and others
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Store at a temperature from 10 to 25 ° C in a dark place. Do not freeze. Keep out of the reach of children.
Shelf life - 3 years.