Geksoral - local antiseptic, which is used for various diseases of the oral cavity. The main active ingredient of the drug is hexatidine.
Shows activity against gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms. It has analgesic, enveloping, hemostatic effect.
In addition, the medicinal substance is able to have a deodorizing and enveloping pharmaceutical effect, and also acts as a local analgesic.
Antiseptic for local use in ENT practice and dentistry.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much does Hexoral in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 370 rubles.
Release form and composition
The main component of Hexoral, which provides its pharmacological action, is the substance Hexetidine.
Depending on the form of release of the drug, its content will be different. A transparent reddish solution with a pleasant mild odor contains 100 mg of the active ingredient, whereas its concentration in the composition of the clear aerosol with a menthol odor is twice as high. The tablets contain chlorhexidine and benzocaine.
Antiseptic has antimicrobial, deodorizing, analgesic, coating and hemostatic properties. The active substance of the aerosol (hexetidine) is a local antiseptic and has an antifungal effect. The mechanism of action is a violation of oxidative processes inside the cell. The spray has a wide spectrum of activity against fungi of the genus Candida and bacteria that cause infectious and inflammatory pathologies.
Resistant to hexetidine are Pseudomonas aeruginosa (located in purulent wounds) and Proteus (diseases of the gastrointestinal tract). The active ingredient of the drug has an analgesic effect. After applying the aerosol, hexetidine is distributed on the mucous membrane in the form of a thin film and is almost not absorbed into the systemic circulation. Hexetidine activity persists for 12 hours.
Indications for use
The drug is intended to eliminate the pathologies of the oral cavity of an infectious and inflammatory nature. It is also prescribed for the purpose of additional therapy of viral lesions and colds. He copes with severe purulent pathologies of the pharynx. The drug is prescribed for prophylaxis before operations in the oral cavity.
The following types of ailments supplement the list of indications for use of Hexoral:
- Bleeding gums.
- Infection of a tooth hole with microbes during and after its removal.
- Inflammation of the tongue and mucous membranes of the gums.
- Sore throat, which leads to acute inflammation of the tonsils.
- Thrush, a disease of the fungus Candida oral cavity, tonsils and pharynx.
- Elimination of bad odor from the mouth, which appears on the background of the development of tumor pathology.
- Inflammation of the pharynx and tonsils. That is, the drug is prescribed for diagnoses of pharyngitis and tonsillitis.
"Geksoral" is one of the few drugs that help solve so many medical problems.
- Age up to 3 years;
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
Before administering Geksoral to lactating and pregnant women, it is necessary to carefully weigh the risk and the expected benefits of treatment (given the lack of sufficient data on the release of breast milk and the penetration of the drug through the placental barrier).
Use during pregnancy and lactation
There are no direct contraindications for the use of Hexoral in pregnancy in the instructions for medication. However, data from clinical trials confirming the safety of its destination for the treatment of angina, pharyngitis, and other diseases of the throat in pregnant women do not exist and cannot exist. Similarly, it is not known how safe the drug is when prescribing it to nursing mothers.
The reason is simple: according to the statute of the World Health Organization (WHO), it is prohibited to involve pregnant women and mothers who are breast-feeding a child in clinical trials. Therefore, although the local effect of the drug with good tolerability minimizes the possibility of its negative impact on the developing fetus, it is possible to use Hexoral for pregnant women only under medical supervision.
And only in the event that severe tonsillitis or tonsillitis, or persistent cough with pharyngitis carry a greater threat to the health of the mother and fetus than the risk from the use of medication.
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicate that the spray Hexoral is used topically. Hexethidine adheres to the mucous membrane and thus gives a lasting effect. In this regard, the drug should be used after meals.
- In adults and children over 6 years old, the affected areas are treated with breath-holding. Assign 1 injection within 1-2 seconds 2 times / day.
- In children aged 3 to 6 years, the use of the drug is possible after consulting a doctor.
The duration of treatment is determined by the doctor.
General recommendations for use:
The drug is sprayed into the mouth or throat. With the help of an aerosol, the affected areas can be easily and quickly treated. You must perform the following steps:
- Put the spray nozzle on the aerosol can;
- Aim the end of the spray nozzle at the affected area of the mouth or throat;
- During drug administration, the vial should be held constantly upright;
- Enter the required amount of the drug, pressing on the head of the spray nozzle for 1-2 seconds, do not breathe with the introduction of the aerosol.
Spray Hexoral is well tolerated. Sometimes it is possible the development of local allergic reactions in the form of burning in the mouth, rashes and itching of the skin of the face. With prolonged use of the drug may develop changes in taste.
The substance hexaetidine is not toxic in the dosage specified in the instructions.
If a person has swallowed a large amount of the drug, vomiting is noted, so there is no significant absorption. There were no cases of alcohol poisoning when swallowed.
For two hours after swallowing large doses of the drug, it is necessary to carry out a gastric lavage, to conduct symptomatic therapy. It is important to consult with a specialist after swallowing large doses of medication.
There are no special regulations.
- The ethanol content in the preparation is 5.15%. One dose of the drug contains 20.3 mg of ethanol (in terms of absolute alcohol).
- The contents of the aerosol can are under pressure. Do not open, pierce and burn the balloon, even if it is empty.
- In children, you can use the drug from an age when there is no danger of uncontrolled ingestion or when they do not resist a foreign object (spray nozzle) in the mouth when using an aerosol and are able to hold their breath when the drug is injected.
- The patient should be informed that if the drug has become unusable or the expiration date has expired, it should not be poured into sewage or thrown into the street. It is necessary to put the drug in the bag and put it in the trash. These measures will help protect the environment.
Geksoral aerosol does not affect the ability to drive vehicles and perform other potentially hazardous activities.
The manufacturer does not provide information on the interaction of Hexoral with other drugs.
In accordance with the instructions for use, the drug can be used as an adjunct to antibiotic therapy, is well compatible with sulfonamides (does not suppress their action and does not contribute to the increased likelihood of side effects).
We picked up some reviews of people who used the Hexoral spray:
- Tatyana. The medicine is good. It helps well. But ... Already twice bought a defective aerosol hexoral. After some time the sprayer stops working. It seems everything is clean, not littered with anything, he could not even hit anywhere, could not even fall. The first time left was the spray can. The second time stopped sprayed after a week of use. It's a shame. They sell marriage for a lot of money, which they can return.
- Dasha. Hexoral was accidentally in our house. My grandmother asked the pharmacy for something "from the nose." But either the pharmacist did not understand her, or she joked, but he gave her exactly this medicine. I did not immediately notice that the grandmother long takes aim at this long tube to the nose. And when at last she spanked, she fell into a stupor. Everything was tingling in his nose, but he didn’t have a runny nose. I read the instructions and was scared. But later it turned out that the drug did not cause any harm, so they threw it into the first-aid kit in case the throat medicine was needed.
- Vitalina. I was prescribed hexoral for candidal stomatitis. I did this rinse with this solution, but it was impossible to dilute it and soaked the tampon in it and applied it to the sores. The drug helped me get rid of thrush in the mouth. It is only important to remember that hexoral should not be swallowed in any way. The drug is non-toxic when properly applied.
Often, reviews of Hexoral indicate that the drug helps to quickly eliminate pain and other unpleasant symptoms that accompany sore throat and other diseases of the oral cavity and pharynx. Some patients note the unpleasant taste of the drug. Doctors warn that in the case of Hexoral, it is better not to self-medicate, since the uncontrolled use of the drug without a correct diagnosis can worsen the patient's condition.
If there was no proven remedy against viral diseases and colds, Geksoral, at the pharmacy counter, then you can choose drug substitutes that are similar in composition and effectiveness. Before using analogs, you should read the instructions. Each drug has its own contraindications, methods of use. A cheap substitute for Hexoral is Ingalipt - 30 ml costs 84 rubles.
The list of Hexoral analogs that are supplied in the form of sprays, tablets and solutions:
- Maxicold Lawr;
- Tantum Verde;
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Shelf life of the drug is 2 years from the date of manufacture. Spray Geksoral must be kept out of the reach of children at a temperature not exceeding + 25 ° C, it should not be allowed to freeze.