Polyoxidonium - deointoxication immunomodulatory drug that increases the body's resistance to infections.
It is used as part of complex treatment of chronic infectious diseases, acute bacterial infections, purulent-septic processes, after chemotherapy, radiation therapy for oncological diseases.
The active ingredient of the drug increases the production of specific antibodies, activates protective blood cells, stimulates its phagocytic function. It improves the immune response even with severe forms of immunodeficiency (congenital and acquired), reduces the toxic effects of drugs, chemical compounds.
It has no teratogenic and carcinogenic effects on the patient.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much do Polyoxidonium candles cost in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 900 rubles.
Release form and composition
Polyoxidonium is produced in the form of suppositories intended for both rectal and vaginal use. Candles are packed in blister packs of 5 pieces, 2 packs in a carton with the accompanying instructions.
- For the manufacture of a rectal-vaginal suppository, 6 or 12 mg of active ingredient and auxiliary components are used: mannitol (E421 Mannit), povidone (Povidonum), beta-caroten (Betacarotenum), cocoa butter (Butyrum Cacao).
Suppositories are a solid substance of oblong yellow or light brown color with a slight cocoa smell.
Polyoxidonium suppositories affect the children's body in a complex:
- The antioxidant properties of the drug are due to its special structure, because, due to the high molecular nature, azoxymer intercepts free radicals.
- The immunomodulating effect of the drug is associated with the ability to increase the activity of natural killer cells and phagocytes, as well as stimulate the synthesis of interferons and antibodies.
- Candles have a detoxifying effect, as they are able to block various toxins and activate their excretion.
- The drug also noted anti-inflammatory effect, because it normalizes the ratio of cytokines.
Through the use of candles, the body becomes more resistant to viral and bacterial, as well as to fungal infections. In addition, the drug helps to restore immunity in secondary immunodeficiencies caused by injury, surgery or an infectious disease.
Indications for use
Polyoxidonium is used quite widely in various fields of medicine. The general indication for the use of the drug - the normalization of immunity in adults and children. However, lyophilisate, suppositories and pills have their preferential indications in which these forms of the drug are most effective.
Indications for use as a monopreparation:
- Prevention of herpes recurrence;
- Preventing cold and flu;
- Prevention of seasonal exacerbations of chronic infections in the elderly;
- Elimination of immunodeficiency, developing on the background of aging and the influence of negative factors.
Indications for use in adults and children over 6 years of age in the complex treatment:
- Rehabilitation of people who are sick often and for a long time;
- The period after radiotherapy and chemotherapy for cancer;
- Rheumatoid arthritis, complicated by colds or ARVI;
- Activation of recovery processes after fractures, injuries, burns and trophic ulcers;
- Chronic recurrent inflammatory diseases in the stage of exacerbation or remission, regardless of location;
- Acute and chronic allergic diseases (pollinosis, atopic dermatitis) with concomitant infections of a viral or bacterial nature;
- Acute and chronic infections of viral and bacterial origin (prostatitis, urethritis, cystitis, chronic pyelonephritis in the stage of exacerbation or remission, chronic salpingo-oophoritis, endometritis, colpitis, vaginitis, papilloma virus, cervical erosion, dysplasia, leukoplakia).
Tablets are mainly prescribed for diseases of the respiratory system and ENT organs. As a single agent - for the prevention of acute respiratory viral infections, sinusitis, otitis, bronchitis, herpes sores.
Before starting therapy, the patient should carefully read the attached instructions, since the drug has a number of contraindications:
- Age in children under 6 years.
- Individual intolerance;
- The period of pregnancy and breastfeeding due to unproven safety for the mother and child;
Particular caution should be exercised in case of severe renal impairment and acute renal failure.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
All polyoxidonium dosage forms (injections, tablets and suppositories) are contraindicated during pregnancy and breastfeeding, since there are no objective data on the effect of the drug on the condition of the woman and the fetus. Also, an absolute contraindication to the use of Polyoxidonium in any form (shots, pills or candles) is the presence of individual intolerance or hypersensitivity to the drug.
Candles and injections Polyoxidonium can not be used for children under six months, since there are no objective data on the effect of the drug on babies up to 6 months. Polyoxidonium tablets are contraindicated for use up to 12 years of age.
Relative contraindication to the use of injections, suppositories or tablets Polyoxidonium is acute renal failure, in the presence of which the use of the drug is allowed, but under close medical supervision and control over the state of human health. Polyoxidonium tablets should be used with caution also in people suffering from lactose intolerance, lack of lactase and malabsorption syndrome.
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicate that Polyoxidonium is intended for rectal and intravaginal administration of 1 suppository 1 time per day. The method and dosage regimen is determined by the doctor depending on the diagnosis, the severity and severity of the process. The drug can be used daily, every other day or 2 times a week.
- Suppositories 12 mg used in adults, rectally and intravaginally.
- Suppositories 6 mg used in children older than 6 years only rectally; in adults, rectally and intravaginally.
Rectal suppositories are introduced into the rectum after cleansing the intestines. Intravaginal suppositories are inserted into the vagina in the supine position, 1 time / day at night.
- On 1 suppository 6 mg or 12 mg 1 time / day daily for 3 days, then every other day with a course of 10-20 suppositories.
- If necessary, repeat the treatment after 3-4 months. The need and frequency of subsequent courses of therapy is determined by the doctor, with repeated administration of the drug, the effectiveness does not decrease.
- Patients with chronic immune deficiency (including long-term immunosuppressive therapy, cancer, HIV exposed) are shown for a long time, from 2-3 months to 1 year, supportive therapy with Polyoxidonium (12 mg adults, children over 6 years old). 6 mg 1-2 times a week).
Variants of recommended regimens as part of complex therapy:
- In acute infectious processes and to activate regenerative processes (fractures, burns, trophic ulcers) - 1 suppository each day. The course of treatment is 10-15 suppositories.
- In chronic infectious and inflammatory diseases in the acute stage - according to the standard scheme, in the remission stage - 1 suppository 12 mg every 1–2 days, with a general course of 10-15 suppositories.
- On the background of chemotherapy and radiation therapy, tumors begin to be administered 1 suppository every day 2-3 days before the start of the course of therapy. Further, the frequency of administration of suppositories is determined by the doctor depending on the nature and duration of chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
- In pulmonary tuberculosis, the drug is prescribed according to the standard scheme. The course of treatment is at least 15 suppositories, then it is possible to use supportive therapy for 20 suppositories per week for up to 2-3 months.
- At-rheumatoid arthritis - -suppositories- 12- mg - (- in adults) - and- 6- mg - (- in children), after-day. The course of treatment is 10 suppositories.
- For rehabilitation often (more than 4-5 times a year) and for long-term ill persons and for rheumatoid arthritis - 1 suppository every other day. The course of treatment is 10-15 suppositories.
- For the correction of secondary immunodeficiencies, prevention of influenza and acute respiratory disease, the drug is prescribed according to the standard scheme.
- For gynecological diseases, the drug is prescribed rectally and intravaginally according to the standard scheme.
- For seasonal prophylaxis of exacerbations of chronic infectious diseases and for the prevention of recurrent herpetic infection, the drug is used every other day in adults 6-12 mg each, and in children 6 mg each. Course - 10 suppositories.
In the case of skipping a single dose of the drug should be taken as early as possible, but if it is time to receive the next dose, the dose to receive should not be increased.
The drug is well tolerated by patients. In some cases, with increased sensitivity to components of the drug may develop local reactions:
- Hyperemia of the mucous membranes of the vagina;
- Increased vaginal discharge;
- Burning and itching;
- Exacerbation in the first days of treatment of symptoms of a chronic disease.
These side effects are not dangerous and do not require discontinuation of drug treatment.
There is no data on overdose by Polyoxidonium in the form of tablets and suppositories. When using the solution in prescribed therapeutic doses, cases of overdose were also not recorded. Potentially possible increase in side effects.
If signs of overdose appear, symptomatic therapy is recommended.
Before you start using the drug, read the specific instructions:
- For children and adolescents aged 6 to 18, suppositories are administered only rectally.
- If necessary, discontinuation of drug therapy can be canceled immediately.
- With the development of an allergic reaction, the patient should stop using the drug and consult a doctor.
- Do not use the drug in the presence of visual signs of its unsuitability (packaging defect, change in color of suppositories).
- In the case of skipping a single dose of the drug should be taken as early as possible, but if it is time to receive the next dose, the dose to receive should not be increased.
The use of the drug Polyoxidonium does not affect the ability to drive vehicles, maintain machinery and other types of work that require high concentration of attention and speed of psychomotor reactions.
The immunomodulator is well combined with other drugs. It can be prescribed in combination with many NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), antihistamines, antifungals and antiviral drugs, antispasmodics, glucocorticosteroids, beta-blockers, cytostatics, dietary supplements, vitamins.
The use of Polyoxidonium in conjunction with antimicrobial agents has several advantages. Thus, an antibiotic reduces the activity of the causative agent of the disease, and if we use Polyoxidonium without losing time, the phagocytes begin to perform their functions with double speed. "Double blow" battles the "enemy" on the spot, leaving him no chance. In addition, Polyoxidonium reduces immunosuppression after antibiotic therapy and reduces the risk of complications.
We picked up some reviews of people who used Polyoxidonium candles:
- Sabina. Our 8-month-old baby Dr. Polyoxidonium prescribed to drip into the nose. Unfortunately, my son had pneumonia and the doctors at the hospital convinced that polyoxidonium was needed as a detoxicant. The lyophilisate was diluted with distilled water and dripped in the morning and evening. Satisfied with the result.
- Svetlana I have experienced this drug myself. It was treated in combination with other immunomodulatory drugs and became less likely to get sick. And then they do not constantly let go to the hospital, but you can remain without work. Although they say that such drugs must be taken carefully, otherwise the body may stop fighting altogether and then not get rid of the sores altogether. We will see))
- Tatyana. I always take polyoxidonium for my child, I don’t regret it, because I know that the universal preparation does not contain any ready-made interferon, which means there is no extra load, it doesn’t cause addiction, I haven’t seen any such preparations. Even the symptoms immediately relieves, because detoksikant.
Structural analogues of the active substance drug Polyoxidonium does not have. Nevertheless, in a pharmacy, you can pick up a medicine that will be similar to candles in its actions:
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Candles Polyoxidonium can be purchased at the pharmacy by prescription. Store the medicine in a cool, dark place out of the reach of children. The shelf life of candles from the date of production date is 2 years, after its expiration the drug cannot be used.