Cephalexin - Semisynthetic Packaging Cephalexinantibiotic of the cephalosporins group is a derivative of 7-aminocephalosporic acid.
Successfully fights bacteria, both gram-positive and some gram-negative. It is used for diseases of the respiratory system caused by microorganisms that are different sensitivity to the tool. It has a wide range of applications.
Eliminates inflammation in the lungs, bronchi, pleural sheets, disorders of the urogenital system. Used in the treatment of ENT diseases - inflammation in the ear, tonsils, sinuses, as well as diseases of the musculoskeletal system. Eliminates dermatological problems of infectious origin.
Cephalosporin I generation.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
You can buy by prescription.
How much does cephalexin in pharmacies? The average price is at 75 rubles.
Composition and release form
Cefalexin is available in hard gelatin capsules for oral administration. The capsules are packaged in blisters of 8 pieces (2) in a cardboard box with the attached detailed instructions.
Each capsule contains the active active ingredient Cefalexin - 250 mg or 500 mg, as well as a number of additional auxiliary components.
The principle of action of Cefalexin according to the instructions is bactericidal. Streptococci, staphylococci, pneumococci, Salmonella, E. coli, Shigella, Proteus, Hemophilus wand, Klebsiella, Treponema and some other organisms are sensitive to the effects of the drug. Enterobacteria, enterococci and Mycobacterium tuberculosis are resistant to Cephalexin.
Cefalexin absorption is almost 90%, the drug is well absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. Despite the fact that the antibiotic Cefalexin is acid-resistant, eating after or during the drug can slow down its absorption, but, in general, does not affect its fullness. The maximum concentration of the active substance in the blood is reached 1-2 hours after the application of Cefalexin: while the antibiotic is evenly distributed in the mucous membrane of the bronchi, lungs, liver, kidneys, heart. Against the background of diseases associated with impaired renal function, the concentration of the drug in the blood increases, and the half-life is extended, accounting for 20-40 hours.
Indications for use
What helps? Cephalexin is prescribed for infectious lesions of the following organs and targets:
- joints and bones (including osteomyelitis);
- soft tissues and skin (pyoderma, furunculosis, lymphadenitis, abscess, lymphangitis, phlegmon);
- upper and lower respiratory tract (tonsillitis, bronchitis, pharyngitis, bronchopneumonia, otitis media, exacerbation of chronic pneumonia, sinusitis, abscess and empyema);
- organs of the urogenital system (vulvovaginitis, pyelonephritis, endometritis, cystitis, gonorrhea, urethritis, epididymitis, prostatitis).
Absolute contraindications: increased sensitivity to any of the components of the drug, as well as to other beta-lactam antibiotics.
Additionally for capsules: age up to 10 years.
Additionally for tablets: age up to 3 years, deficiency of sucrose or isomaltose, fructose intolerance, glucose-galactose malabsorption.
Additionally for granules for the preparation of suspensions for oral administration: sucrose or isomaltose deficiency, fructose intolerance, glucose-galactose malabsorption.
- pseudomembranous colitis (in history);
- renal failure;
- pregnancy and lactation.
Additionally, for powder and granules for the preparation of a suspension for oral administration: age up to 6 months.
Appointment during pregnancy and lactation
Cephalexin is not prescribed to women during pregnancy. This is due to the fact that the drugs of the cefasporin range easily penetrate the placental barrier and can provoke toxic damage to the internal organs and nervous system of the fetus. There is no clinical experience with Cefalexin capsules, especially in early pregnancy, and the safety of the drug for the mother and fetus has not been established.
During breastfeeding, the prescription of the drug Cefalexin in capsule form is possible only when the expected benefit to the mother outweighs the possible risks to the infant. When negative adverse reactions occur in infants, treatment with the drug is stopped or the lactation is completed.
Dosage and method of use
As indicated in the instructions for use, cephalexin is administered orally, 30-60 minutes before eating, with water.
- The average dose for adults and children over 10 years old is 250-500 mg every 6 hours. The daily dose of the drug should be at least 1-2 g, if necessary, can be increased to 4 g. The duration of the course of treatment is 7-14 days. For infections caused by group A beta-hemolytic streptococcus, the minimum duration of treatment is 10 days.
Adult patients with renal dysfunction the daily dose is reduced taking into account the value of QC: when QC is 5-20 ml / min, the maximum daily dose is 1.5 g / day; with CC less than 5 ml / min - 0.5 g / day. The daily dose is divided into 4 doses.
- Children under the age of 10 years, the drug is recommended to appoint in the form of a suspension for oral administration. With a body weight less than 40 kg, the average daily dose is 25-100 mg / kg body weight; the multiplicity of reception - 4 times / day. With otitis media, the dose is 75 mg / kg / day, the dose rate is 4 times / day. With streptococcal pharyngitis, infections of the skin and soft tissues, the frequency of intake is 2 times / day. In case of severe infections, the daily dose may be increased to 100 mg / kg of body weight, and the dose rate may be up to 6 times / day.
Suspension preparation: Add water to the vial before the risks and shake well. The prepared suspension is stable at room temperature for 14 days. Before each use, the suspension must be shaken. 5 ml of the prepared suspension contains 250 mg of cefalexin.
According to some reviews of Cefalexin, the following side effects can be noted when using an antibiotic:
- On the part of the reproductive system: vaginal discharge, vaginitis, candidal mycosis of the genital organs;
- On the part of the digestive system: vomiting, nausea, dry mouth, diarrhea, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, intestinal candidosis, dyspepsia, in some cases - pseudomembranous enterocolitis, hepatitis, cholestatic jaundice;
- From the side of the central nervous system: agitation, weakness, hallucinations, headache, drowsiness, dizziness, convulsions;
- On the part of the urinary system, interstitial nephritis is possible;
- From the side of the blood system: neutropenia, reversible leukopenia, thrombocytopenia;
- From the laboratory indicators: an increase in prothrombin time, increased activity of alkaline phosphatase and hepatic transaminases.
In addition, there is the possibility of allergic reactions, urticaria, malignant exudative erythema, anaphylaxis, toxic epidermal necrolysis, arthritis, pruritus of the genital organs, dermatitis, in rare cases - angioedema.
Symptoms of overdose
It is not recommended to specifically exceed the dose specified in the instructions, as prolonged use of the antibiotic in large doses can lead to an overdose, which is clinically manifested by the following symptoms:
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, blood diarrhea;
- urine excretion of blood;
- pain in the kidney area, the development of acute renal failure;
- Crohn's disease, the development of intestinal necrosis.
Treatment: activated carbon, monitoring body functions and electrolyte balance.
Before you start using the drug, read the specific instructions:
- During the period of treatment is not recommended to use ethanol.
- In patients with impaired renal function, accumulation is possible (correction of the dosing regimen is required).
- For staphylococcal infections, there is cross-resistance between cephalosporins and isoxazolylpenicillins.
- During treatment with cephalexin, a positive direct Coombs reaction is possible, as well as a false-positive reaction of urine to glucose.
- Patients with a history of allergic reactions to penicillins and carbapenems may have an increased sensitivity to cephalosporin antibiotics.
Compatibility with other drugs
When using the drug, you must consider the interaction with other drugs:
- Salicylates and indomethacin slow down the excretion of cefalexin.
- Cefalexin reduces the prothrombin index, enhances the effect of indirect anticoagulants.
- With simultaneous use with furosemide, ethacrynic acid, nephrotoxic antibiotics (eg aminoglycosides) increases the risk of kidney damage.
We offer you to read the reviews of people who used Cephalexin:
- Marina. The child had a cough and otitis. The temperature of this drug removed literally a day, and after five days we were already healthy.
- Olga I give my husband, he often otitis. Of the adverse reactions, he notes only drowsiness. Dyspepsia does not cause
- Sasha. I have a child asthmatic and cephalexin our only antibiotic for colds and sore throats. It helps very well. Suspension is easy to prepare. He drinks it with pleasure, does not even drink it with anything.
In reviews of the drug, it is often found to use it in urinary tract infections, which are not amenable to standard treatment, for example, in recurrent cystitis. He was prescribed to patients in the hospital, after cystoscopy or using a catheter, if the patient had diabetes.
Judging by the reviews, Cefalexin Suspension was prescribed to children most often with otitis, sore throat and if pneumonia was suspected. Suspension has a pleasant fruity odor and does not cause negative emotions in children. Reviews for children are often positive. Moms celebrate rapid recovery and good tolerability.
Structural analogues of the active substance:
- Solexin Forte;
- Cefalexin AKOS;
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Shelf life and storage conditions
List B. Store in a dry, protected from light, out of reach of children at a temperature of + 15 ... +25 ° C. Shelf life - 2 years.
The finished aqueous suspension should be stored at a temperature of + 15 ... +25 ° C for no more than 6 days, in a refrigerator - no more than 14 days.